Mets now have terrific twosome in 'pen
LAS VEGAS -- The New York Mets of 2008 didn't just have a closer problem. They had a bullpen problem.
Become an Insider, and you can watch the entire Baseball Tonight Hot Stove Special that aired Wednesday.
Putz, of course, will have to be healthier than he was in 2008, when his 3.88 ERA was nearly triple his 1.38 mark in '07. But if he is, he changes the Mets' whole persona.Just consider the bullpen disaster that did in this team this season:
- The Mets were 13th in the league in ERA from the seventh inning on and 13th in bullpen ERA overall.
- They blew 29 saves -- second most in the National League, behind St. Louis.
- They gave up 61 home runs from the seventh inning on, tied with the Giants for the most in the league.
- If all games had ended after six innings this season, the Mets would have finished the year 11 games ahead of the Phillies (aka, the team that won the World Series).
- If all games had ended after seven innings, the Mets would have finished six games ahead of the Phillies.
- And if all games had even been just eight innings long instead of nine, the Mets would have finished five games ahead of the Phillies.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Source: Padres acquire OF Myers from Rays
- Source: Giants, Romo finalizing $15M deal
- Suspended 1B Davis cleared to use Adderall
- Braves OF Markakis has surgery to fix disk