Commissioner's stance on Rose unchanged

Updated: September 9, 2003, 5:05 PM ET
Scripps Howard News Service

CINCINNATI -- There is no timetable for the reinstatement of Pete Rose, Bud Selig reiterated Monday at Great America Ballpark before the Cincinnati Reds' loss to Pittsburgh.

Pete Rose
Rose had 10 seasons with 200-plus hits during his 24-year career.
The public stance of Major League Baseball's commissioner has not changed since news broke last winter that he was considering reinstating the eligibility of the game's all-time hits leader.

"I met with Pete, and his application for reinstatement is under review," Selig said. "Since I am the judge, I really do think it would be inappropriate for me to comment."

Selig, however, did address the rampant rumors that Rose's reinstatement is imminent, including a report on baseballprospectus.com last month claiming that Rose and Selig had an agreement under which Rose would be reinstated this fall.

"I keep reading that, but I don't have a timetable," Selig said. "There was that story on the Internet during our major-league meetings in Boston, and we all agree or disagree on many different things. But to write that story when there wasn't a scintilla of truth to any of the facts, that was appalling to me. That story, as the end result will prove, was just silly. It was journalistically irresponsible."

There has been at least one published report that Rose would be the first choice of Reds owner Carl Lindner to fill the club's current managerial vacancy if he is reinstated quickly enough and if that reinstatement allows for him to return to the game in such a capacity -- a report that when it came out was quickly downplayed, but not denied, by Reds chief operating officer John Allen.

Selig declined to address that issue.

"That's a question you would have to ask (Lindner)," Selig said. "Whatever happens after (a decision is made on Rose's reinstatement application), only time will tell."

ALSO SEE