GM says he never spoke to agents
PHOENIX -- Despite persistent rumors about Roger Clemens continuing his career in Texas, Rangers GM John Hart said Monday that he hasn't spoken to Clemens' agents and doesn't plan to, the New York Daily News reported Tuesday.
"The guy is going to retire," Hart told the paper from the GM meetings. "When you've got a retired player, you scratch him off the list and move on."
A Dallas Morning News report from this past weekend claimed that Hart has spoken to one of Clemens' agents, Alan Hendricks, but Hendricks' partner, his brother Randy, told the Daily News via email that he "can't account for what the Dallas Morning News writes."
Hart supported that rebuttal, telling the paper that the Morning News report is "just inaccurate."
"I've never had a conversation with Alan Hendricks at all," Hart said. "I don't know where that came from. It's just that simple."
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Source: Tigers' Iglesias to sit out until break
- D-backs' Corbin exits start with tight forearm
- Orioles 3B Machado (knee) suffers setback
- Rivera honored, but Yanks no-hit in Panama
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- '47 Brand Women's New York Yankees Fly Ball Navy V-Neck T-Shirt