Padres give Payton a two-year deal
SAN DIEGO -- Jay Payton landed a big piece of real estate in downtown San Diego on Tuesday -- center field at Petco Park.
Payton agreed to a $5.5 million, two-year contract with the San Diego Padres, who are building toward the April opening of their $458 million ballpark.
Payton joined the Padres on the same day they decided not to trade for Pittsburgh catcher Jason Kendall, feeling they'd be hamstrung by the big salaries toward the end of his long contract.
After adding All-Star catcher Ramon Hernandez, left-hander David Wells and infielder Jeff Cirillo, general manager Kevin Towers thought Payton was the final player needed to make the Padres competitive after five straight losing seasons.
"I've always been a big Jay Payton fan, going back to my scouting days," Towers said. "I turned him in higher than Nomar Garciaparra when they were at Georgia Tech. He was a better hitter then."
Payton hasn't had quite the career that Garciaparra has, but the Padres feel he'll be perfect for Petco's spacious outfield. The deepest part of the park is in right-center.
"I actually got to check it out," Payton said during a conference call. "I got on the Internet and saw there's a point in right-center that goes out to 411. I know I'll do some running. I've been preparing for it. I've been running on the track, my legs are in shape and I'm ready to go."
"Payton is the only other guy we could see playing in center field and improving ourselves offensively and defensively," Towers said. "We were looking for somebody who can go get the ball. He's been a solid to better-than-average center fielder in the past."
Payton batted .302 last year for the Colorado Rockies. What the Padres liked best was that he hit 15 of his 28 home runs and half of his 32 doubles away from Coors Field.
Payton will make $1.5 million this year, $3.5 million in 2005 and the Padres have a $4 million option for 2006 with a $500,000 buyout. San Diego's payroll is now between $55 million and $60 million.
After finishing with the NL's worst record last year, the Padres have been the busiest team in the NL West this offseason.
"We should have been the most active," Towers said. "We were in last place and had the worst record in the division four of the last five years.''
Actually it was three times in five years, but the point is, the Padres haven't been competitive since reaching the World Series in 1998.
"This team should contend," Towers said.
"I love the city, I love the weather, and with the new ballpark and the moves they've made this offseason, there's no reason whatever that this team can't compete for the NL West title."
Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Yanks' Tex goes on DL; surgery for Youkilis
- Harvey takes no-no into 7th, Mets hold on
- Red Sox wait out delay, win opener vs. Rays
- San Jose sues MLB over vote on A's move