Little will help evaluate trades
Little will help evaluate trades and the Cubs' minor league system, and assist with coaching duties during spring training.
Little managed the Red Sox the last two seasons, and he was fired in October, two weeks after Boston lost to the New York Yankees in Game 7 of the AL championship series. Pedro Martinez failed to hold the lead in the game, and Little was blamed for leaving his ace in too long.
The 54-year-old Little managed 16 seasons in the minors from 1980 through '95 and was San Diego's bullpen coach in 1996. He spent the next three seasons as Jimy Williams' bench coach in Boston, then had the same job the next two seasons with Jerry Manuel in Cleveland.
He became the Red Sox manager in spring training of 2002 after Joe Kerrigan was fired.
Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Orioles 3B Machado (knee) suffers setback
- Dodgers OF Crawford to skip Australia series
- Rays OF Myers leaves with a bruised quad
- Matheny glad MLB trying to cut out collisions
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Replica Chicago Cubs Monte Irvin #20 Royal Cooperstown Jersey