Deal contingent on passing physical
NEW YORK -- The New York Mets and free agent Todd Zeile reached a preliminary agreement on a contract, contingent on the infielder passing a physical early next week.
"We have had extremely favorable discussions," the Mets said in a statement. "We look forward to providing further information following the completion of the physical."
Zeile split last season between the New York Yankees and Montreal, batting .227 with 11 home runs and 42 RBI in 100 games.
In 15 major league seasons, the 38-year-old Zeile has played for 11 teams, including the Mets in 2000 and '01. He has a career batting average of .266 with 244 home runs and 1,075 RBI.
Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- MRI shows damage to Corbin's UCL in elbow
- HOF Schmidt recovering from skin cancer
- Orioles' Machado: Don't know about opener
- Multiple batters hit as Pirates-Phils gets testy
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Replica New York Mets Tom Seaver #41 White Cooperstown Jersey