Drew agrees to one-year deal with Braves
St. Louis took Drew with the fifth pick of the 1998 amateur draft, but he has been plagued by injuries, never playing more than 135 games in a season. He made five trips to the DL in the past four seasons for a total of 121 days.
The 28-year-old native of Hahira, Ga., hit .289 last season with 15 homers and 42 RBI in just 100 games. Atlanta's doctors spoke with the St. Louis doctors before the deal.
Drew, who had filed for arbitration last week, could earn an extra $400,000 in performance bonuses.
He was the last Brave remaining in arbitration.
Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Kershaw: No problems after simulated game
- Early brawl mars Brewers' win in 14 innings
- Yanks' Nova to DL with elbow ligament tear
- Red Sox notch walk-off victory on O's error
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Antigua Men's Atlanta Braves Quarter-Zip Navy Ice Pullover