Infielder a 10-year major league veteran
The 34-year-old Womack, a 10-year major league veteran, started last season with Arizona before being traded to Colorado on July 18 and then to the Chicago Cubs on Aug. 19. He batted a combined .226 with two homers and 22 RBIs.
Womack played for the Diamondbacks from 1999-03, and was with the Pirates during the 1993 and '94 seasons, and from 1996-98.
Womack played the last five weeks of last season with an injured right elbow. He was hurt on Aug. 24 while sliding into home. He had surgery in early October and is expected to be ready for spring training.
The left-handed hitting Womack has a career average of .270 hitter with 30 home runs, 310 RBI and 309 stolen bases in 1,022 major league games.
Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Source: Tigers' Iglesias to sit out until break
- D-backs' Corbin exits start with tight forearm
- Orioles 3B Machado (knee) suffers setback
- Rivera honored, but Yanks no-hit in Panama
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Women's Boston Red Sox Dustin Pedroia Navy T-Shirt