Salary more than six times last year's
The 26-year-old right-hander was 14-12 with a 3.62 ERA last season in 32 starts. His 133 strikeouts and 208 2/3 innings were career highs.
"He was one of our most consistent pitchers last year and was an All-Star in 2002," Philadelphia assistant general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. said "We feel he will continue to progress as one of the best young pitchers in the National League."
Padilla had asked for $2.95 million in arbitration and had been offered $2.35 million. A hearing had been scheduled for mid-February.
Padilla came to the Phillies in the deal that sent Curt Schilling to Arizona in 2000. Since becoming a starter in 2002, Padilla is 28-23 with a 3.45 ERA.
Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Pineda ejected for foreign substance on neck
- Red Sox shut down Yankees behind Lackey
- D-backs spoil Wrigley's 100th with rally in 9th
- Dodgers ruin Hamels' 1st start of season
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Rico Philadelphia Phillies Small Static Cling