Second chance for Boone in NY?

Updated: April 6, 2004, 10:59 AM ET
ESPN.com news services

Aaron Boone's torn knee ligament may not have ended his Yankees career after all.

The club has expressed an early interest in re-signing Boone, only this time it would be to play second base rather than third, The New York Times reported Tuesday.

The Yankees lost their everyday second baseman, Alfonso Soriano, in their trade for Alex Rodriguez. Enrique Wilson is considered a temporary solution at second.

General manager Brian Cashman spoke with Boone's agent, Adam Katz, last week and said the Yankees' interest in the 31-year-old Boone is primarily for next season under a two-year contract, according to The Times.

"It's nothing extensive at this point, but just a recognition that he's going to be back," Cashman was quoted as saying. "I don't know if he's going to be back this year. Any thoughts I would have are more toward next year."

Boone, who was released in February after injuring his knee while playing basketball the previous month -- a violation of his contract terms -- told The Times on Monday he hoped to be ready to play in minor league games by July.

Boone would like to return to New York and is willing to shift to second base, where he played 19 games for the Cincinnati Reds last year, Katz told the Times.

"I'm very open to it, absolutely," Boone told the newspaper in a telephone interview. "I know our relationship has continued and dialogue has continued."