Pirates pitch knocks off Rolen's helmet
PITTSBURGH -- St. Louis Cardinals third baseman Scott Rolen left Tuesday night's game against the Pittsburgh Pirates in the first inning, shortly after he was hit in the helmet by a pitch from Ryan Vogelsong.
A team official said Rolen was taken out for precautionary reasons and will be reevaluated Wednesday.
Vogelsong's 1-0 pitch knocked Rolen's helmet off, but Rolen quickly rose to his feet and walked to first without assistance. He came around to score two batters later but did not take the field in the bottom half. He was replaced by Hector Luna.
Rolen entered Tuesday's game with 13 home runs and a major league-leading 53 RBI.
Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Back to Seattle: Mariners acquire Morales
- Twins call off Knoblauch induction post-arrest
- Epstein not thrilled with Cards 'gift' draft pick
- McCarthy, Headley lift Yanks past Rangers
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Replica St. Louis Cardinals Allen Craig #21 Home White Jersey