Griffey now two short of 500 milestone
CINCINNATI -- Ken Griffey Jr. hit two homers Sunday, giving the Reds slugger 498 for his career.
He homered in the first and third innings of Cincinnati's game against the Montreal Expos. He has 17 this season and needs two more to become the 20th major leaguer to reach 500.
Griffey has three home runs in Cincinnati's last two games and nine in his last 14 games. He has hit two homers in a game 48 times in his career and two or more 50 times.
He tied the score at 3-3 in the third with his 100th homer since joining the Reds before the 2000 season. He pulled the first pitch from right-hander Livan Hernandez 409 feet to right field with two outs.
In the first inning, Griffey hit a 3-2 pitch from Hernandez to left field with two outs and D'Angelo Jimenez on second base.
Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Nationals' Harper benched for 'lack of hustle'
- Scherzer tops Angels for 1st win of season
- Hamels slated to make season debut in L.A.
- Jays shut out Indians, Buehrle still unbeaten
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Replica Cincinnati Reds Brandon Phillips #4 Home Jersey