Shortstop's leg to be examined Wednesday
The All-Star shortstop went 0-for-3 for Pawtucket against Louisville on Tuesday night.
"We won't know anything until we speak with him tomorrow," manager Terry Francona said before Boston played San Diego on Tuesday night.
"I think he's been anxious (to return) the whole time. It could be tomorrow, it could be next week. When he tells me he's ready to play for us, that will be good enough for me."
The Red Sox said Garciaparra's right Achilles tendon would be examined Wednesday before the team decides if he can play that night against San Diego.
Garciaparra had only eight spring training at-bats when he fouled a ball off his right heel on March 17.
In his rehab assignment with Pawtucket, he has gone 5-for-12 in five games against Louisville and Toledo, homering in his last at-bat on Saturday.
Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Rangers take Seahawks QB Wilson in draft
- Cano thanks N.Y., finalizes big Mariners deal
- Rule 5 pick Nieto on Biogenesis clinic list
- Source: Joba, Tigers agree on 1-year deal
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Youth Boston Red Sox Navy Speedwick Performance T-Shirt