Griffey's bid for 500 reaches warning track
Griffey, seeking to become the 20th player to hit 500 homers, connected on a 2-2 pitch from starter Cliff Lee to give the Reds a 5-1 lead.
Griffey's homer was his 18th this season -- 10th in his last 22 games -- and moved him within one of reaching a milestone he would have gotten to much earlier if not for a string of injuries the past few seasons.
In his next at-bat, Griffey was nearly beaned by Lee, who was immediately ejected by plate umpire Matt Hollowell.
Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- MLB briefs managers, GMs on replay system
- Source: Colon, Mets reach 2-year, $20M deal
- MLB plans to ban home plate collisions by '15
- Reports: Yanks nix Gardner-for-Phillips deal
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Antigua Women's Cincinnati Reds Traverse Soft Shell Full-Zip Red Jacket