Griffey's bid for 500 reaches warning track
Griffey, seeking to become the 20th player to hit 500 homers, connected on a 2-2 pitch from starter Cliff Lee to give the Reds a 5-1 lead.
Griffey's homer was his 18th this season -- 10th in his last 22 games -- and moved him within one of reaching a milestone he would have gotten to much earlier if not for a string of injuries the past few seasons.
In his next at-bat, Griffey was nearly beaned by Lee, who was immediately ejected by plate umpire Matt Hollowell.
Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- GM says Tanaka still has elbow discomfort
- Zimmerman hamstring injury requires DL stay
- MLB suspends Padres' Maybin 25 games
- Rangers' Rios returns, unfazed by rumors
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- '47 Brand Men's Cincinnati Reds Cooperstown Clean Up Black Adjustable Hat