Orioles send Bautista to KC
Baltimore gave up right-handed prospect Denny Bautista for Grimsley, who immediately agreed to a contract extension through 2005.
Grimsley, 36, is 3-3 with a 3.38 ERA in 32 appearances for the Royals this season.
Since signing with Kansas City before the 2001 season, Grimsley leads AL relievers with 251 appearances, with a 3.94 ERA over that span.
For his career, he's 38-50 with a 4.75 ERA in 13 seasons.
Bautista, 23, began the season at Double-A Bowie before making his major league debut on May 25. He made two relief appearances, allowing eight runs in two innings, before being optioned back to Bowie.
The Orioles' bullpen has struggled since right-hander Rodrigo Lopez was made a starter in May. Lopez was sent back to the bullpen last week, but injuries may force manager Lee Mazzilli to return him to the rotation.
Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Tanaka apologizes to Yanks, fans for injury
- CarGo back with Rockies after long DL stint
- D-backs reinstate slugger Trumbo from DL
- O's Jimenez to DL after parking lot incident
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Baltimore Orioles Cooperstown Washed Dugout Logo Orange T-Shirt