Chavez will be DH for Sacramento
Chavez will join Triple-A Sacramento for a game at Fresno on Monday, and he will be the designated hitter. He is in good shape, so the team isn't worried about his conditioning or fielding as much as his hitting and the pressure it will put on the hand.
When Chavez was hurt June 1 on a pitch by Chicago's Damaso Marte, he was expected to miss at least six weeks. Whether he will rejoin the A's before the All-Star break is uncertain.
"We'll see how he performs," trainer Larry Davis said. "It's going to be 50-50 -- 50 percent how he feels and 50 percent how he does."
The three-time Gold Glove was batting .246 with a team-leading 13 home runs and 35 RBIs before the injury. He signed a $66 million, six-year contract extension during spring training, the biggest deal in franchise history.
Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Cubs not sure when ailing Castro will return
- Garza goal: Kick Cubs' 'teeth in every time'
- Twins lock up closer Perkins on 4-year deal
- Boras: Morales, Drew willing to wait for deals
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Oakland Athletics Practice Green T-Shirt