Larkin asks Reds to cancel retirement ceremony
ST. LOUIS -- Cincinnati shortstop Barry Larkin has asked the Reds to cancel his retirement ceremonies planned for the final weekend of the season because he's not sure this will be his last year.
"Right now, I would like to leave my options as a player open for 2005," Larkin said in a statement Tuesday.
Larkin, 40, was picked this weekend for his 12th All-Star team. The Reds' captain was hitting .295 with four homers and 31 RBI going into Tuesday night's game at St. Louis.
The Reds planned to hold retirement festivities for Larkin on Oct. 2, the next-to-last day of season, when they played Pittsburgh.
"Barry has made it known to us that, at this time, he is not committed to retiring after this season and feels any kind of ceremony would be inappropriate. We respect his decision," Reds chief operating officer John Allen said.
Larkin agreed to a $700,000 contract, plus $300,000 in performance bonuses, after the final game of the 2003 season.
Larkin has played his entire career with the Reds, making his major league debut in 1986. He helped them win the 1990 World Series and was the 1995 NL MVP.
Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Yankees get 3B Headley in trade with Padres
- Rockies place Tulowitzki (hip strain) on DL
- Angels won't limit ace Richards' workload
- Cubs DFA Barney, activate Bonifacio off DL
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Cincinnati Reds Kick Off Tri-Blend Red T-Shirt