Police say Allison had used heroin
PEABODY, Mass. -- Police say 2003 top Florida Marlins draft pick Jeff Allison spent three days in the hospital because of a heroin overdose.
Allison was hospitalized last weekend after he and a friend split a bag of heroin, Lynn police told the The Salem News.
The friend noticed that Allison was having trouble breathing and drove him to Union Hospital in Lynn. Allison was released on Tuesday.
Allison was the 16th pick overall in the 2003 June draft after a standout career at Peabody High School, where he went 8-0 and didn't allow an earned run in 63 1/3 innings during his senior season. He signed for $1.85 million.
In May, he left the Marlins' minor league training camp without permission for undisclosed reasons.
Allison has not been charged.
Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Trumbo heads to D-backs in 3-team trade
- Mulder, out since 2009, attempts comeback
- GM: Cabrera on target for spring training
- Rakuten prez: No decision on Tanaka's future
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Miami Marlins Springtide Black Full-Zip Jacket