Bowa offered job as bench coach
Bowa was fired Oct. 2 after four seasons with the Phillies. He has worked before with Marlins manager Jack McKeon, who gave Bowa his first major league managing job with the San Diego Padres in 1987.
"Larry's a good guy," McKeon said Wednesday. "He's an outstanding baseball man, and he has been an outstanding coach every place he has been. He'd be an asset."
Bowa and McKeon discussed the Marlins' bench-coaching job when Florida was in Philadelphia for the final series of the regular season. Bowa led the Phillies to two second-place finishes, including this year, and went 337-308 in Philadelphia.
Bowa was replaced midway through his second season in San Diego by McKeon. The decision to fire Bowa came from team president Chub Feeney, McKeon said.
Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Ryu, Dodgers 1st to have 3 11-game winners
- Jones' 2 homers power Orioles past Angels
- Ortiz (2 HRs) passes Yastrzemski in Sox rout
- Verlander moves to 3rd in Tigers K's in win
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- New Era Men's Philadelphia Phillies Red 9Forty Pinch Hitter Adjustable Hat