Pettitte throws 25 pitches in first workout
"It felt good just to get back on the mound," Pettitte told Houston television station KRIV. "Now I can start getting ready, just building up my arm strength."
Pettitte, who spent five minutes on the mound, said he became tired throwing the 25 pitches.
He also said it was just a matter of time before he'll be throwing breaking pitches again.
"I probably could have done it today, but I am going to take it slow and try to be as cautious as I possibly can."
Pettitte underwent surgery during the summer to repair a torn flexor tendon in his pitching elbow. Because of the injury, he appeared in only 15 games and finished 6-4.
Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Trumbo heads to D-backs in 3-team trade
- Mulder, out since 2009, attempts comeback
- GM: Cabrera on target for spring training
- Rakuten prez: No decision on Tanaka's future
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Houston Astros Craig Biggio #7 White Cooperstown Jersey