Pettitte throws 25 pitches in first workout
"It felt good just to get back on the mound," Pettitte told Houston television station KRIV. "Now I can start getting ready, just building up my arm strength."
Pettitte, who spent five minutes on the mound, said he became tired throwing the 25 pitches.
He also said it was just a matter of time before he'll be throwing breaking pitches again.
"I probably could have done it today, but I am going to take it slow and try to be as cautious as I possibly can."
Pettitte underwent surgery during the summer to repair a torn flexor tendon in his pitching elbow. Because of the injury, he appeared in only 15 games and finished 6-4.
Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Baseball Hall cuts election eligibility to 10 years
- Source: Red Sox, Giants agree to Peavy deal
- Price, Rays prevail with rally over Red Sox
- Lester: I'd re-sign with Sox even if traded
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Houston Astros Cooperstown Tri-Blend Navy T-Shirt