Owners now 2-1 against players
The 26-year-old right-hander, acquired by the A's from Atlanta in the Tim Hudson trade in December, was 6-2 with a 2.75 ERA in 50 relief outings last season, when he made $370,000.
Arbitrators Jack Clarke, Janet Gaunt and Stephen Goldberg made the decision one day after hearing the case in Tampa.
Owners have a 2-1 lead over players with two cases remaining: Baltimore pitcher John Parrish and Cincinnati right-hander Ramon Ortiz. There will be at most five cases that go to hearings this year, equaling the low set in 1997 and matched in 2002.
Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- O's not signing Balfour, cite physical results
- Youkilis will play 'one more year' -- in Japan
- O's Patton tests positive, banned 25 games
- Beltran joins Yankees: 'Means a lot to me'
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Rico Oakland Athletics Metal License Plate