Wright reports no problems after rehab start

Updated: July 31, 2005, 12:22 AM ET
ESPN.com news services

New York Yankees: Starter Jaret Wright allowed two runs and four hits over 2 1/3 innings in his first rehabilitation start since injuring his right shoulder in April.

Wright threw 65 pitches -- including 39 strikes -- in a Gulf Coast League game against Atlanta minor-leaguers. His fastball reached 95 mph and was consistently in the 92-93 range.

Most importantly, Wright reported no shoulder problems after the outing.

"As far as how I felt, I felt good," he said.

Wright said he could make another minor-league start Thursday and rejoin the Yankees possibly by the middle of August.

"For the first time, I thought it was just OK," Wright said. "I'm definitely looking for shorter innings."

Wright was placed on the disabled list April 24, one day after leaving his start against Texas because of pain in his shoulder.

Teen missing after disappearing from bathroom
A 13-year-old boy went to a restroom during a Yankees game and never returned, and searches of the stadium, nearby fast food restaurants and train stations by hundreds of police and security guards were fruitless.

Majelique Lewis, of Stamford, Conn., disappeared Friday night during the seventh-inning stretch of a Yankees-Angels game, police said.

His mother immediately reported him missing to security, who notified police about an hour later.

Every stadium exit is monitored by security cameras and Lewis' mother did not spot him on hours of recorded images, police said.

It was the teen's first trip to Yankee Stadium. He attended the game with his 65-year-old foster mother, brother and two sisters.

Lewis has no behavioral or mental problems and no history of running away, police said.

"He's an average kid,"said Arthur Shannonhouse, who answered the phone at Lewis' home and identified himself as the teen's father.

Ten to 15 children are reported missing at every Yankees game but are almost immediately located, police said.

Boston Red Sox: Gabe Kapler rejoined the Red Sox after the outfielder completed a rehabilitation assignment at Triple-A Pawtucket.

Outfielder Adam Hyzdu was designated for assignment to make room on the roster for Kapler, who signed with Boston after playing sparingly in Japan this year. He was on the 15-day disabled list with a lower back strain.

Kapler was a backup outfielder with the Red Sox in 2004. He was the first player to leave the World Series champions when he signed a one-year contract with the Yomiuri Giants last November, taking more money and the chance to play every day.

But he struggled in Japan and re-signed with Boston this month. Kapler hit .272 for Boston last season, with six home runs and 33 RBI in 136 games.

At Pawtucket, Kapler went 14-for-22 (.636) in seven games with two homers and six RBI.

The Red Sox acquired Hyzdu on July 19 from San Diego for minor-league pitcher Scott Cassidy. Hyzdu had been in and out of the Red Sox organization for several years and was traded to the Padres in spring training for Blaine Neal.

Papelbon to make start
Jon Papelbon, who has made just four starts at Triple-A Pawtucket, will make his big-league debut Sunday as Boston's scheduled starter against the Twins.

Manager Terry Francona announced the move Saturday night after Boston's 6-2 victory over Minnesota. Brad Radke (6-10) starts for the Twins on Sunday.

Papelbon, a 24-year-old right-hander, is 1-2 with a 3.57 ERA in four starts for Pawtucket. He walked two and struck out 21 in 22 2/3 innings.

"He's one of our bright young stars that we think a lot of," Francona said.

Papelbon was 5-2 in 14 starts this season for Double-A Portland before being promoted to Pawtucket on July 4.

He won in his last appearance, on Tuesday, when Pawtucket beat Buffalo 9-1. He struck out eight in five innings. The 6-foot-4 pitcher was drafted by Boston in fourth round in 2003 out of Mississippi State.

Left-hander Lenny DiNardo was optioned to Pawtucket to make room on the roster for Papelbon.

Atlanta Braves: The team placed Jay Powell on the 15-day disabled list, a day after the reliever broke his right arm throwing a pitch in the ninth inning. Roman Colon was recalled from Triple-A Richmond to take his place on the roster.

Team trainer Jeff Porter said it's too early to declare Powell's career over after the right-hander broke his humerus -- the bone in the upper arm.

Powell, 33, grimaced as he made his second pitch of the ninth in a 2-1 victory over the Pirates. After being escorted off the field, Powell went to Piedmont Hospital, where Dr. Lee Kelly diagnosed the break.

Porter said that Powell, who underwent Tommy John surgery to repair his right elbow last year with Texas, wore a splint as he left the hospital. He will be reevaluated Monday, and surgery is possible.

"He had no indication this was coming," Porter said. "Obviously, nobody did. He had zero elbow discomfort. His elbow was sound. It actually was not his elbow, it was his humerus. It's not related to the previous surgery at all. In fact, nobody's heard of this before."

Powell was called up from Double-A Mississippi on July 15. He did not receive a decision and had a 0.00 ERA in 3 1/3 innings over a span of five games in which he allowed one hit, four walks and struck out one. Powell first appeared in the majors with Florida in 1995 and played for five teams.

Braves assistant trainer Jim Lovell ran from the dugout and was the first team official to talk to Powell.

"His first words were, 'It's broke,'" Lovell said.

Colon appeared in 23 games, including five starts, in his previous stint this year with the Braves. The right-hander went 1-5 with a 5.28 ERA.

Toronto Blue Jays: The team placed left-hander Ted Lilly on the 15-day disabled list and recalled pitcher Dustin McGowan.

Lilly left last Sunday's start against Kansas City after four innings because of biceps tendinitis.

The 28-year-old Lilly is 8-9 with a 5.52 ERA. He missed all of spring training with shoulder tendinitis.

McGowan, a top pitching prospect, started Saturday against Texas in his major-league debut. The 23-year-old right-hander went 0-2 with a 3.34 ERA in six starts with Double-A New Hampshire. He underwent elbow ligament replacement surgery in May 2004.

New York Mets: Former All-Star Wil Cordero signed a minor-league contract with the Mets and was sent to Triple-A Norfolk of the International League.

Cordero hit .118 with no homers and two RBI in 29 games with Washington this year before being released last week. An All-Star with Montreal in 1994, the 33-year-old infielder would be playing for his eighth team if he joins the Mets.

New York manager Willie Randolph said Cordero was given no guarantee of a call-up and there is no timetable for deciding whether he can help the big-league club.

"He's down there to get some at-bats and some type of groove back. We'll see what happens from there," Randolph said. "We're going to let him play a little bit and get himself back into shape."

Cordero is a career .273 hitter with 122 homers and 566 RBI over 14 seasons.

Colorado Rockies: The team designated utility infielder Desi Relaford for assignment Saturday, after the eight-year veteran struggled with both bat and glove over the past two months with the Rockies.

Relaford batted .167 since June 1, including an 0-for-33 hitless streak, the longest in team history.

"Everybody has slumps. I had mine. It's unacceptable," Relaford said late Saturday, after learning of his release following Colorado's 8-7 loss to Philadelphia.

Relaford also made 10 errors, not what the Rockies expected when they signed him in the offseason, hoping for a dependable backup infielder.

To take Relaford's place, the Rockies purchased the contract of infielder Omar Quintanilla from Triple-A Colorado Springs. Colorado acquired Quintanilla from Oakland in the trade for Joe Kennedy that also brought Eric Byrnes, who has since been shipped to Baltimore for Larry Bigbie.

Houston Astros: Hall of Fame broadcaster Milo Hamilton is ready for one last trip around the major leagues.

Hamilton, the Astros' radio play-by-play man who has been calling baseball games since 1950, announced Friday that he will assume a more limited role next season, working only home games. While the team is on the road, the 77-year-old Hamilton plans to help with community relations.

Team officials said the announcement was made in part so Hamilton could enjoy a small farewell tour at the ballparks he visits during the rest of the season.

He and the club will revisit the arrangement after next season.

"We feel fortunate to have had a Hall of Famer like Milo as a part of the Astros family for such a long time, and we hope to have him on our airwaves for many seasons in the future," team owner Drayton McLane said.

Hamilton has been with the Astros since 1985. He has also worked for the Cardinals, Braves, Pirates and both Chicago teams. He's called games in 51 stadiums and worked 11 no-hitters. His most famous call is Hank Aaron's record-breaking 715th home run in 1974.

Hamilton joined the broadcasters' wing of the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1992.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

ALSO SEE