Red Sox have asked to make Fenway a landmark
Boston Red Sox: The Red Sox have applied to have Fenway Park recognized as a national historic landmark, which would make renovation and expansion work eligible for federal tax credits.
Janet Marie Smith, the team's vice president of planning and development, said Tuesday that the application was submitted to the National Park Service about a month ago. She did not know how long the review would take.
The Red Sox are in the midst of a decade-long, $200 million renovation of Fenway. Built in 1912, it is Major League Baseball's oldest and smallest stadium.
Smith could not put a dollar figure on the rehabilitation tax credit, which is designed to give property owners an incentive to save historic structures.
However, according to the Park Service's Web site, the rehabilitation tax credit "equals 20 percent of the amount spent in a certified rehabilitation of a certified historic structure."
According to the federal government's list of National Historic Landmarks, the only other Major League stadiums considered for landmark status were Wrigley Field and Comiskey Park, both in Chicago. The process was never completed for either stadium, and Comiskey has since has been torn down.
Setback for Foulke? Closer Keith Foulke's throwing session didn't go smoothly Tuesday, casting doubt about his simulated game scheduled for Friday, the Boston Herald reported.
"He played catch and will play catch [today] and then we'll see how he progresses the next day," manager Terry Francona told the Herald after the 5-2 Red Sox victory over the Royals. "`He still felt it. He got hit pretty hard."
Good step for Miller: Wade Miller threw on Tuesday for the first time in 15 days.
"I felt good," Miller told The Globe. "There were no problems going through the throwing motion. No pain. I wasn't babying it. I'll play catch a couple more times [before progressing to a mound]."
The right-hander twice backed off on his rehab -- postponing throwing sessions last Monday in Detroit and Friday in Anaheim. But, general manager Theo Epstein told the paper Tuesday, "It wasn't like he was supposed to throw and was scratched. [Trainer] Chris [Correnti] is in charge of his rehab, and he thought to get the most out of this break it actually had to be a break so that his shoulder has some time off to feel better and strengthen it.
"He's had some time off, he's feeling better, he's strengthened it a little bit, he's ready to crank it up again."
"Whatever position I'm in, this [being with the Yankees] has been a very good thing for me in my career, from when it started to where it is now," Leiter told The New Jersey Star-Ledger. "I don't know what [the coaches] are thinking or what anyone else is thinking, I just truly think about being physically and mentally prepared to execute pitches and not worry about my position on the team. I'm thrilled to be here. It sounds kind of corny, but it's true."
Leiter mentioned to manager Joe Torre in conversation last weekend that he can be useful to the team in the bullpen.
"There was some question as to whether I'm deserving [of that move], and that's fine," Leiter told the paper. "I'll do whatever I can do. I told Joe I can throw strikes, I can get lefties out. Whatever is asked of me, I'll do.
"But I like starting. It's pretty cool."
Ramirez injured his leg while grounding into a double play in the first inning.
An MRI revealed a moderate to severe strain of the quadriceps and Ramirez was to be re-evaluated Thursday or Friday. Earlier this season, Ramirez strained his quad on the other side. Last year he was bothered by a problem on the left side.
Ramirez was examined by a team orthopedist after he'd been seen by a team doctor and trainer Mark O'Neal.
"We didn't feel any significant defect," O'Neal said. "You're looking to see that you don't have any major muscle disruption. ... We didn't find anything like that."
O'Neal said the MRI would give the Cubs a better timeframe on healing.
"This is the one he had problems with last year," he said.
"We don't really know what we are dealing with now. When you have one and you have injured the other, there are times when you compensate. That could be an issue."
Ramirez, with 31 homers and a team-leading 92 RBIs, pulled up as he neared first base, stumbled and fell forward as he crossed the bag. Moments later, he got to his feet and was helped off the field by a trainer and manager Dusty Baker. The double play ended the inning.
Jose Macias replaced Ramirez in the second inning.
White was examined Monday in Cincinnati, where an MRI revealed a significant rotator cuff tear, according to Kevin Rand, the team's head athletic trainer. The 11-year veteran will have surgery there before the end of the week, probably Friday. Dr. Timothy Kremchek, the Cincinnati Reds' team physician, will perform the surgery.
"The chances of him rehabilitating that and being able to come back and play aren't very good and (Kremchek) feels his best option to continue his career is to get it operated on," Rand added.
White, who will be a free agent at the end of the season, dislocated the shoulder Aug. 14 when he attempted a diving catch in Kansas City. He was placed on the 15-day disabled list a day later. His 2000 season ended after 95 games when he injured the same shoulder sliding into second base as a member of the Cubs.
"It's not my throwing shoulder and it won't affect my swing, so the rehab might not take as long as others," he said, adding that he hopes to play next season.
The Tigers signed White as a free agent in 2004. He hit .270 in 121 games last year with 19 home runs and 67 RBI. He played 97 games this season for the Tigers, hitting .313 with 12 homers and 53 RBI as an outfielder and designated hitter.
• Tigers withdraw offer to draft pick: The Tigers have pulled their offer to first-round draft pick Cameron Maybin, Maybin's advisor Brian Goldberg told the Detroit Free Press.
In a call with a Tigers' attorney, Goldberg said that owner Mike Ilitch wouldn't authorize a deal for $3.2 million or the $2.75 million the Tigers had offered a few weeks previously. The highest Ilitch would go, Goldberg told the paper he was told, was "in the low $2 millions."
"As confused and disappointed as the Maybins are, they are still interested in negotiating a deal," Goldberg told the paper Tuesday night. "But at this point, I wouldn't know who to talk to at the Tigers to get that done. As the attorneys at the Players Association told us Monday, why continue to negotiate with people who don't have the authority to do so?"
Maybin has until shortly before next June's draft to sign with the Tigers. The only way he'll lose his right to sign with them before then is if he attends a class at Southern University, where he has accepted a baseball scholarship.
Baltimore Orioles: Right-hander Jason Grimsley was placed on the 15-day disabled list by the Orioles, who activated outfielder B.J. Surhoff from the disabled list and optioned first baseman Alejandro Freire to Double-A Bowie.
In another move, Baltimore added right-hander James Baldwin to the 25-man roster. Baldwin was acquired on waivers from Texas on Monday and joined the Orioles on Wednesday.
Grimsley, 38, has a strained left Achilles' tendon. He was activated from the 60-day disabled list on July 14 after making a surprisingly rapid recovery from elbow ligament replacement surgery.
Grimsley is 1-1 with a 7.98 ERA. He allowed at least one run in nine of 14 appearances and has not pitched since Aug. 17, when he allowed three hits and three runs without retiring a batter.
Surhoff, who was sidelined with a strained left groin, returned from his second stint on the DL and started as the designated hitter Wednesday night against the Los Angeles Angels.
During Surhoff's absence, Freire hit .250 in seven games.
Baldwin was delighted to be back in Baltimore. He joined the Orioles on May 21 after a stint with Triple-A Ottawa, was claimed on waivers by Texas on July 21 and now is with Baltimore again.
Los Angeles Dodgers: The Dodgers could lose the rights on their No. 1 draft pick this week, The Los Angeles Times reported.
While classes start at Tennessee on Wednesday, Luke Hochevar, the 40th overall pick, is expected to take a few days before deciding his future. The Dodgers have offered Hochevar about $2.5 million, but the right-handed pitcher, who is represented by agent Scott Boras, is asking for $4 million, according to the paper. If he attends a class, the Dodgers lose their rights to him.
Dodger scouting director Logan White is not optimistic that a deal will be struck. Hochevar has not returned White's calls, either.
"There is a strong chance he will go back to school," White told The Times. "When we took him we knew it would be a possibility. We knew it was a gamble.
"It's going to take an effort by Luke and his family to get this done."
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Cubs legend Banks memorialized at service
- Report: Richards, Angels agree on $3.2M deal
- Nats' Werth to serve 5 days for driving 105
- Minaya leaves Padres to be MLBPA adviser