Harden unsure if he'll pitch again this year

Updated: September 17, 2005, 11:12 PM ET
ESPN.com news services

Oakland Athletics: Right-hander Rich Harden hasn't pitched since Aug. 19 and isn't sure if he'll be on the mound again this season.

Harden, who has an aching muscle under his right shoulder, said it's an injury he can't battle through.

"If I could, I would," he told the San Jose Mercury News. "When it was bad, I couldn't throw. I'd be out there throwing 80-85 [mph], just whipping it up there. Then if I blow it out, it can be a serious injury. It's not like it's an ankle or back where it doesn't affect you.

"If you saw the radar gun when I hurt it, I threw 88 on the next pitch, then 85, then I threw two change-ups at 79 and 80. I can't pitch with it. It directly affects how I pitch and it affects my velocity. It could be a bad thing for me and bad thing for the team if I went out there. It's not possible."

Chicago White Sox: An apologetic Damaso Marte was with the team Friday for the first time since manager Ozzie Guillen sent him home Sunday for showing up late to the ballpark.

"I truly believe he means [what he says]," Guillen told The Chicago Tribune. "He's ready to pitch and 100 percent."

Marte spoke with his teammates before the game, and they were fine with his return.

Marte confirmed he got into a heated exchange with Guillen after Guillen penalized him. Marte was late because he took his family to the airport but didn't tell Sox coaches or staff members in advance.

"I got a little emotional and said some things I didn't mean to say," Marte, who used third-base coach Joey Cora as an interpreter, told the paper. "But I'm sorry about it."

New York Yankees: Right-hander Mike Mussina (right elbow) said he felt fine after throwing 100 pitches in a simulated game off a bullpen mound Friday. He could rejoin the rotation next Thursday in right-hander Shawn Chacon's spot.

"I'm encouraged," Mussina said. "When you turn it up as close to 100 percent as you can, you don't really know what you are going to get when you haven't done it for almost three weeks." Manager Joe Torre will to see how Mussina feels Saturday before making a decision. "He threw hard, the hardest he's thrown," Torre said. "He did everything he wanted to do."

Mussina last pitched Aug. 29.

Cleveland Indians: Indians minor-league pitcher Jason Stanford was arrested early Saturday morning and accused of aggravated disorderly conduct and resisting arrest, police said.

Police spokesman Sgt. Dan Gelmarini said Standford was arrested in downtown Cleveland around 4 a.m. He said he didn't have any information about the circumstances that led to his arrest.

Gelmarini said Stanford is expected to be charged with the two misdemeanors.

"While we are disappointed in Jason's lack of judgment and self-control, we will refrain from further comment out of respect to the judicial system," general manager Mark Shapiro said.

The left-hander began the season on the disabled list recovering from elbow surgery last year. He was activated last month and split time between Class AA Akron and Triple-A Buffalo.

Philadelphia Phillies: With the season winding down, the Phillies are looking for ways to get extra starts for right-handers Jon Lieber and Brett Myers, the Philadelphia Inquirer reported.

"Lieber might be a guy that we'd consider," Manuel said. "Myers, too. Lieber has experience. Myers is young and strong. ... We'll have to figure it out."

St. Louis Cardinals: The Cardinals will take Monday's off day as a chance to rearrange their pitching rotation as they head into the postseason.

"We're looking at how we're going to pitch the Cincinnati series," manager Tony La Russa told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. "There's a decision to be made there."

The idea is to have Chris Carpenter set up for game one, followed by Mark Mulder and Jeff Suppan.

The old-fashioned way: Instead of using explosives, the Cardinals plan on using a wrecking ball to destroy Busch Stadium, the Post-Dispatch reported.

"Both methods are safe, but common sense suggests that swinging a wrecking ball is preferable to an explosion in a central business district," Lamping told the paper in a statement.

An implosion would have brought Busch to the ground in 35 seconds. The wrecking ball demolition will take 90 days.

New York Mets: The Mets purchased infielder Anderson Hernandez's contract from Triple-A Norfolk and designated left-hander Dae-Sung Koo for assignment.

With the fading Mets all but out of contention in the NL wild-card race, Hernandez figures to get some playing time at second base the rest of the way and a chance to impress the team heading into next season.

New York has gotten little production at second base this year from the combination of Kaz Matsui and Miguel Cairo. If the team is unable to upgrade the position for 2006, there could be an opening in spring training.

Matsui, on a career-best 12-game hitting streak, might be sidelined for a while because of a sore right hamstring, and utility player Chris Woodward is bothered by a stiff calf, prompting the Mets to bring up Hernandez.

"We need bodies," manager Willie Randolph said. "He's here basically because Kaz got hurt."

Seattle Mariners: Left fielder Mike Morse rejoined the active roster after completing his 10-day suspension for violating Major League Baseball's steroid policy.

Morse started in left field against the Texas Rangers along with center fielder Shin-Soo Choo, who was recalled from Triple-A Tacoma on Saturday.

Catcher Rene Rivera also was recalled from Tacoma, which was eliminated from the Pacific Coast League championship series on Friday night.

Washington Nationals: The Nationals activated infielder Junior Spivey from the 60-day disabled list and transferred right-hander Tony Armas Jr. to the 60-day disabled list.

Spivey had been out with a broken right forearm since July 9. Spivey has an overall batting average of .272 with seven homers and 24 RBI in 72 games, including a .221 average in 23 games with Washington since being acquired in a June 11 trade with the Milwaukee Brewers.

Armas, 7-7 with a 4.97 ERA, was placed on the 60-day list with right shoulder inflammation. Armas' last start was in an 8-7 loss at Atlanta on Sept 1.

Cuba wins Baseball World Cup
Dany Betancourt gave up four hits in 8 1/3 innings and Cuba won its eighth straight Baseball World Cup with a 3-0 shutout of South Korea on Saturday.

It was the 24th title for Cuba since the competition began in 1938. South Korea was the last team to beat Cuba in the World Cup, in 1982.

Cuba, which won the Olympic gold medal last year in Athens, scored on back-to-back singles by Frederich Cepeda and Ariel Pestano with two outs in the fourth.

In the fifth, South Korea's Sung Kwui Yun walked two and then gave up a run on a wild pitch before being replaced. Rudy Reyes singled in Cuba's third run in the sixth inning.

Reliever Pedro Luis Lazo came on for Cuba with one man on and one man out in the eighth, and promptly got Ki Nam Park to ground out into a double play to end the inning. He then retired the last three batters in order for the save.

Panama finished third in the tournament, with a 7-6 win over the Netherlands earlier Saturday in Haarlem.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

ALSO SEE