Yankees surpass 4 million in home attendance
New York Yankees: The Yankees surpassed the 4 million mark in home attendance Saturday, becoming the third major league franchise to reach the milestone.
The Yankees drew a crowd of 53,911 for a 7-4 loss to the Toronto Blue Jays, boosting their season total to 4,035,560 fans with one home game remaining. The only other teams to draw 4 million were the Blue Jays in 1992 and '93, and the Colorado Rockies in '93 -- their first season.
"It's an incredible achievement, particularly when I remember that when I bought the Yankees, we had trouble drawing 1 million to the stadium. We have the greatest fans in the world," owner George Steinbrenner said in a statement. "I cheer our fans as they cheer us, day in and day out. And I thank everyone in our organization, on and off the field, for helping to reach this amazing milestone."
On Sunday, New York will almost certainly break Toronto's AL record for attendance. The Blue Jays drew 4,057,947 fans in '93 on the way to their second consecutive World Series championship.
"A lot of things factor into the rotation," manager Mike Scioscia told the Los Angeles Daily News. "But first and foremost is when Bart's ready to pitch to get him out there."
If Colon's balky back, which has been bothering him since an Aug. 30 start, hold up, Colon could start the final game of the A's series on three days rest.
"I think both sides kind of dropped the ball," Foulke told WEEI, The Boston Globe reported. "If anything, it's one of those deals, we definitely should have ... I wish I would have agreed to have done it on the first day of spring training."
Foulke had surgery on July 7 and returned to action Sept. 1 before shutting down a disappointing season.
"The last year of my life has pretty much been the worst year of my life, off the field, on the field," Foulke told the raio station, the paper reported. "It's one of those deals that I'm glad it's over ... [This] was the worst pitching performance of my career. I'm embarrassed, but I went out there and tried. It didn't work. Now my focus and all my thoughts are going toward Feb. 15 of next year."
"As each day goes by, the chances [of a return] keep getting slimmer and slimmer," manager Dusty Baker told The Chicago Tribune. "I haven't made a decision. It's up to his body, it's up to the trainers, before a decision is made."
Ramirez has been on the disabled list since Aug. 25 with a left quadriceps strain and is not in playing condition.
"He has been absolutely fantastic with his conditioning, but he's not able to go 100 percent right now with quick movements," trainer Mark O'Neal told the paper.
Washington Nationals: Rick Short, the 32-year-old minor leaguer who flirted with batting .400 at Triple-A New Orleans and finally reached the majors this season, will have surgery Sunday to repair a torn labrum in his left shoulder.
He's expected to be out of action for up to six months, but team doctor Wiemi Douoguih, who'll perform the operation, said the Nationals hope Short can return during spring training.
Short was injured when he dived to stop a ball while playing second base Friday.
After collecting more than 1,000 hits over more than a decade in the minors, Short made his major league debut in June, then was called up in September. He got a total of 15 at-bats, averaging .400 and hitting homers off Dontrelle Willis and John Smoltz.
"For the short time that I got to play, it went as well as it could go. I made some plays out in the field, I got some hits. I don't know if it's a lasting impression, but they have an idea of what kind of player I am," Short said.
"Whatever we can do to work on sticking here for next year, I'm willing to do it. I might have to alter it a bit now, but I've fought through a lot of things in a 12-year minor league career, so we can get through this, too."
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- MRI shows damage to Corbin's UCL in elbow
- HOF Schmidt recovering from skin cancer
- Orioles' Machado: Don't know about opener
- Multiple batters hit as Pirates-Phils gets testy