Mets woo Wagner with suburban lunch
NEW YORK -- Billy Wagner started his two-day tour of New York with the Mets on Monday by having lunch in Connecticut with Jeff Wilpon, the son of the team's owner.
The free-agent closer toured the suburbs, where most of the Mets' players live. He was to have dinner in the evening in New York City with Wilpon, the team's chief operating officer, and general manager Omar Minaya.
Philadelphia wants to re-sign Wagner, a 34-year-old left-hander who throws 100 mph. He was 4-3 with a 1.51 ERA last season.
Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Kemp laces winner in 10th to turn away Braves
- Cards deal for Masterson to bolster pitching
- Tigers' Scherzer sharp over 7, goes to 13-3
- Scratched Lester at Fenway amid rumors
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Rico New York Mets Laser Tag Plate