Giles agrees to three-year, $30 million deal
San Diego Padres
The deal was pending Giles' scheduled physical on Thursday morning. An announcement was expected later in the day, two baseball officials said, speaking on condition of anonymity because the contract hadn't been finalized.
One of the top outfielders on the free-agent market, Giles batted .301 with 15 homers and 83 RBI last season, leading the NL West-champion Padres in several offensive categories. He drew a major league-best 119 walks and had a stellar .423 on-base percentage.
The two-time All-Star will earn $9 million per season from 2006-08, with a $9 million option for 2009 that could raise the value of the deal to $36 million over four years. The club has a $3 million buyout for 2009.
Late last week, it appeared that Giles would leave the Padres after the team rejected a three-year, $25.5 million proposal from his agent, Joe Bick.
"It's been a pleasant surprise," Bick said Wednesday night. "I guess the Padres had a change of heart."
Bick told ESPN Insider Jerry Crasnick that Padres GM Kevin Towers called him Wednesday morning and the two sides had conversations throughout the day, but that a deal is not yet complete.
"There are still issues to be discussed," Bick told Crasnick.
While the Toronto Sun reported the Blue Jays made a five-year, $55 million to Giles, sources said Toronto had presented only a three-offer. However, the money was believed to be higher than what he would receive from the Padres.
Giles had four huge seasons with the Pirates from 1999-02, hitting at least 35 homers each year and driving in more than 100 runs three times.
His power dropped off once he joined the Padres, in part because of the deep dimensions in right field at spacious Petco Park, which opened in 2004.
But he remained an effective offensive player and made up for his diminishing home runs with patience at the plate and RBI production.
The left-handed hitting outfielder was one of three top free agents who helped the Padres win the NL West with an 82-80 record last season before they were swept in the first round of the playoffs by the St. Louis Cardinals. The others are closer Trevor Hoffman and catcher Ramon Hernandez.
The Padres have offered Hoffman $10 million over two years. Hoffman is seeking between $25 million and $27 million for three years.
The Padres haven't expressed interest in keeping Hernandez.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Ortiz: Yankees lost 'face of ballclub' in Cano
- Sources: Yankees open to trading Gardner
- Yanks announce deals for Ellsbury, Kuroda
- Dodgers finalize Wilson deal, eye pen help