White Sox's Garcia ready to pitch in WBC
PONCE, Puerto Rico -- Freddy Garcia of the World Series champion White Sox will pitch for Venezuela in the World Baseball Classic.
Chicago White Sox
"I am very excited to represent my country," Garcia, who was playing in a celebrity golf tournament to benefit deaf and mute children, told The Associated Press on Saturday.
Garcia had a record of 14-8 this season, with a 3.87 ERA. He won one game each in the American League and World Series championships.
Garcia will join a powerful rotation that will include the winner of the 2004 Cy Young prize -- Johan Santana of the Minnesota Twins, Chicago Cub Carlos Zambrano and Los Angeles Angels closer Francisco Rodriguez.
The 16-nation, 18-day World Baseball Classic will start on March 3 in Asia, where Group A will include Japan, South Korea, Taiwan and China.
Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- GM says Tanaka still has elbow discomfort
- Colon perfect into 7th; Mets hold on vs. M's
- Ortiz homers to reach 1,500 career RBIs
- Zimmerman hamstring injury requires DL stay
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
World Baseball Classic
WHAT: A 16-team international tournament divided into four pools of four teams each
WHEN: March 3-20, 2006
WHERE: U.S., Puerto Rico, Japan
World Baseball Classic at a glance
|Dominican Republic||South Africa|
• Jan. 23: Bonds says he won't play
• Jan. 20: Cuba allowed in
• Jan. 18: Provisional rosters are announced
• Jan. 17: A-Rod plans to play for U.S.
• Jan. 16: U.S. names provisional roster
• Jan. 14: Canada names 23 to roster
• Jan. 14: Nomar to play for Mexico
• Jan. 11: Lasorda expects Cuba to play
• Jan. 10: Marlins' Cabrera to play for Venezuela
• Jan. 10: Smoltz not likely to pitch for U.S.
• Jan. 9: Italian team to train with Tigers
• Jan. 6: Report: Iguchi, Buehrle to skip WBC
• Jan. 6: IBAF threat: No Cuba, no Classic
• Jan. 4: Report: A-Rod to play for U.S.
• Dec. 28: Venezuela wants Cuba in Classic
• Dec. 27: Matsui won't play for Japan in March
• Dec. 23: Cuba offers to donate Classic money
• Dec. 22: MLB denies Cuban exiles
• Dec. 22: Astros assistant to manage Italy
• Dec. 15: A-Rod will sit out Classic
• Dec. 14: Treasury: Cuba can't send players
• Dec. 14: Matsui promises to decide soon
• Dec. 13: A-Rod leaning toward Dominican team
• Dec. 13: Griffey ready to play
• Dec. 11: Yankees deny Posada
• Dec. 3: Pedro, Tejada hope to play
• Dec. 3: Garcia pitching for Venezuela
• Dec. 2: Report: Castro says Cuba will play
• Nov. 30: Bonds to play for U.S.
• Nov. 28: Whitt to manage Canada
• Nov. 22: U.S., Canada to play exhibitions
• Nov. 14: Arizona to host WBC games
• Nov. 14: Livan Hernandez can play for PR
• Nov. 12: Dontrelle to hurl for U.S.
• Nov. 10: Delgado suiting up for PR
• Sept. 28: San Diego hosting WBC
• Sept. 16: Japan agrees to participate
• July 14: A-Rod to play for DR
• July 13: No WBC for Sheffield
• July 11: WBC groups unveiled