Ortiz wins third straight DH of the year award
Ortiz is the first player to win three straight awards since it started in 1973 (the first year of the DH). He is also only the third man to win it three times overall, joining Martinez , who won it five times, and Hal McRae of Kansas City, also a three-time winner.
He earned 75 of 78 first-place votes from a panel which includes beat writers, broadcasters and members of American League public relations departments. Travis Hafner of Cleveland finished second. He was the only player besides Ortiz to receive a first or second-place vote.
Ortiz is the third Red Sox player to win the award, following Jim Rice (1977) and Don Baylor (1986).
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Source: Lester to A's, Cespedes to Red Sox
- Athletics send LHP Milone to Twins for Fuld
- Presidential farewell: Jeter honored by Bush
- Colletti: Dodgers not going to trade Kemp
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Replica Boston Red Sox David Ortiz #34 Alternate White Jersey