Tigers re-sign Maroth for two years, Inge for one
Maroth was 14-14 with a 4.74 ERA last season, when he had 115 strikeouts and 51 walks in 209 innings. The 28-year-old left-hander went 9-21 in 2003, becoming the first pitcher since 1980 to lose 20 games. He bounced back the next year with an 11-13 record and a 4.31 ERA.
Detroit will pay Maroth $2.3 million this year and $2.95 million in 2007.
Inge, who also is 28, batted .261 with 16 homers and 72 RBI last year. Primarily a catcher during his first four seasons in Detroit, he played 160 games at third base last season, the most by a Tiger at that position since Aurelio Rodriguez's 160 in 1973.
Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- MRI shows damage to Corbin's UCL in elbow
- HOF Schmidt recovering from skin cancer
- Orioles' Machado: Don't know about opener
- Multiple batters hit as Pirates-Phils gets testy
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Detroit Tigers Miguel Cabrera #24 Navy T-Shirt