<
>

Athletics avoid arbitration with Bradley, Calero

OAKLAND, Calif. -- Outfielder Milton Bradley and
right-hander Kiko Calero agreed to one-year contracts with the
Oakland Athletics on Wednesday, avoiding arbitration.

Bradley, hoping to return to his top form after a season-ending
left knee injury Aug. 23 that required surgery, will receive $3
million with the chance to earn an additional $200,000 in
performance bonuses. Calero receives an $850,000 salary.

"We've been discussing them for the last couple weeks,"
assistant general manager David Forst said. "We felt good about it
and we were confident we'd get them done before we had to file
numbers."

The A's acquired the switch-hitting Bradley in a trade with the
Los Angeles Dodgers on Dec. 13 to upgrade their offense and hit
around Eric Chavez. Bradley, who became known for his volatile
behavior last season that included a run-in with teammate Jeff Kent, is expected to be Oakland's starting right fielder.

A's general manager Billy Beane said when he dealt for Bradley
that the past is the past and he believes the outfielder will fit
in well in Oakland's laid-back clubhouse.

Bradley agreed, and said he has been misunderstood at times.

"I'm all about winning. I'm not going out there to just go
through the motions and have fun," he said last month.

The 27-year-old Bradley batted .290 with 13 homers and 38 RBI
in 283 at-bats last season. He was limited to 75 games, missing
extensive playing time because of a torn ligament in his right ring
finger.

Bradley hit .267 with 19 homers and 67 RBI in 141 games for the
Dodgers in 2004, and .321 with 10 homers and 56 RBI in 101 games
for the Indians in 2003.

The 31-year-old Calero made 58 relief appearances in his first
season for the A's in 2005, going 4-1 record with a 3.23 ERA and
earning one save. He allowed opponents to hit .216 against him,
including .170 to first batters faced, which ranked sixth lowest
among American League relievers.

Outfielder Bobby Kielty agreed to a $1.85 million, one-year
contract with the A's on Monday.

The A's have three more arbitration-eligible players yet to be
signed: right-handed pitcher Juan Cruz, catcher Adam Melhuse and
second baseman Mark Ellis.

"Two more done, three to go," Forst said. "I think we're
making good progress. We're happy with the timing on both Kiko and
Milton."