Nats agree to deals with Clayton, Lombard
Washington also sent right-hander Francis Beltran outright to Triple-A New Orleans. He had reconstructive elbow surgery in March and didn't pitch last season.
The 36-year-old Clayton hit .270 with two homers, 44 RBI and 13 steals for Arizona last season. He made 11 errors in 141 games at shortstop.
He is a career .258 hitter over 15 years in the majors with seven teams. If added to the major league roster, he would get a $1 million, one-year contract and have the chance to earn $250,000 in performance bonuses based on games.
Both Clayton and Lombard -- who hit .262 with 20 homers and 65 RBIs at Triple-A Pawtucket last season -- were invited to major league spring training.
Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Nationals' Harper benched for 'lack of hustle'
- Scherzer tops Angels for 1st win of season
- Hamels slated to make season debut in L.A.
- Braun's go-ahead HR caps 2-homer day
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- '47 Brand Women's Washington Nationals Sparkle Red Adjustable Hat