Cubs sign RHP Simontacchi to minor-league deal
The 32-year-old right-hander sat out last season after shoulder surgery in October 2004, a month before the St. Louis Cardinals released him. Simontacchi had a 5.28 ERA and no decisions in 13 relief appearances in 2004 and was 20-10 with a 4.77 ERA in 40 starts and 43 relief appearances in three seasons with the Cardinals.
Simontacchi spent time in Kansas City's, Pittsburgh's and Minnesota's minor league systems before signing with St. Louis in January 2002.
If added to the 40-man roster, Simontacchi would get a one-year contract that would pay him at an annual rate of $610,000 in the major leagues and $240,000 in the minors.
Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Nationals' Harper benched for 'lack of hustle'
- Yankees' Nova leaves with injury, gets MRI
- Scherzer tops Angels for 1st win of season
- Alvarez faces 1 over minimum, silences M's
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Authentic Chicago Cubs Darwin Barney #15 Cool Base Home Jersey w/ Wrigley Field 100th Anniversary Patch