Ex-Yankee Martinez joins 'Baseball Tonight' crew
BRISTOL, Conn. -- His playing career apparently over, Tino Martinez is joining ESPN as an analyst on "Baseball Tonight."
Martinez spent last season with the New York Yankees before becoming a free agent. He said in November that he had been contacted by several teams, but none that he was interested in playing for.
The two-time All-Star first baseman hit 339 homers in 16 major-league seasons with Seattle, the Yankees, St. Louis and Tampa Bay, winning World Series titles with the Yankees in 1996 and from 1998-2000.
ESPN also said Tuesday that former major-leaguer Orestes Destrade will be a "Baseball Tonight" analyst and will also serve in that role during game broadcasts of the World Baseball Classic next month.
Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Dice-K defends Mets' Warthen after his slur
- Sandberg: Rollins not benched over remark
- Rays tab ace Price to start opener vs. Jays
- Red Sox's Peavy debuts after fishing injury
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- FANMATS New York Yankees Heavy Duty Vinyl Car Mats 2-Pack