Mets reliever Padilla to undergo Tommy John surgery
"If I had my speed and control, I could've dealt with the pain a little bit, but the bottom line was that I'd lost it," the right-hander said Monday, a day before he was scheduled to have reconstructive "Tommy John" surgery in New York.
The 29-year-old pitcher was picked to play for Puerto Rico in the World Baseball Classic, but was held out of the competition after an MRI exam showed the elbow injury. Another medical evaluation confirmed he needed surgery.
He expects to begin rehab in about six weeks and hopes to be throwing by November.
Padilla allowed 24 hits in 36 1-3 appearances last season, going 3-1 with a 1.49 ERA.
Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Agent: Dodgers don't plan to trade Kemp
- Trumbo heads to D-backs in 3-team trade
- Reports: MLB agrees to Japanese bid system
- Source: Pirates, Morton agree to $21M deal
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Youth New York Mets Matt Harvey #33 Royal T-Shirt