Wood closer to returning to mound
Kerry Wood will rejoin the Cubs on Monday in Los Angeles to throw in a bullpen session. The team has not said whether Wood would start a minor-league rehabilitation assignment within the week as he returns from shoulder surgery, the Chicago Sun-Times reported.
Wood threw 51 pitches Saturday in a three-inning simulated game in Mesa, Ariz.
"You talk to him, and he's in a hurry," Cubs manager Dusty Baker told the Sun-Times. "We're in a hurry to have him, but we don't want to do anything to set him back. I talked to him the other day, and he said that's the best he's felt after he has thrown. We want to continue on that same progress."
Marshall earned his first major league victory Friday night with a five-inning outing against Pittsburgh.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Dice-K defends Mets' Warthen after his slur
- Sandberg: Rollins not benched over remark
- Rays tab ace Price to start opener vs. Jays
- Red Sox's Peavy debuts after fishing injury
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Chicago Cubs Neon Practice Anthracite T-Shirt