Rangers coach suspended for run-in with ump
ARLINGTON, Texas -- Rangers third base coach Steve Smith began a five-game suspension Thursday night for a confrontation with umpire Brian O'Nora in Cleveland last week.
In addition to the suspension, Major League Baseball fined Smith an undisclosed amount for "inappropriate and aggressive actions" toward an umpire.
O'Nora called Texas' Mark Teixeira out at the plate last Friday. Smith was ejected for arguing.
Brook Jacoby, already filling in as hitting coach while Rudy Jaramillo recovers from prostate surgery, has assumed many of Smith's duties. Jacoby will be the team's infield coach and first base coach with Bobby Jones moving from the first base box to third base.
Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Cubs not sure when ailing Castro will return
- Garza goal: Kick Cubs' 'teeth in every time'
- Twins lock up closer Perkins on 4-year deal
- Boras: Morales, Drew willing to wait for deals
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Extended Sizes - Majestic Men's Replica Texas Rangers Derek Holland #45 Home White Jersey