On eve of season debut, Penn has appendectomy
Penn was feeling ill earlier in the day and was taken to a hospital, manager Sam Perlozzo said. The right-hander was called up from Triple-A Ottawa on Sunday and was slated to make his season debut Tuesday night. Instead, he was placed on the 15-day disabled list.
The Orioles did not immediately name a replacement starter for Tuesday night. Penn was 2-2 with a 1.48 ERA at Ottawa this year and 3-2 with a 6.34 ERA in eight starts for the Orioles last season.
Baltimore recalled 22-year-old left-hander Adam Loewen from Double-A Bowie. One of the club's top prospects, Loewen was 4-2 with a 2.72 ERA in eight starts for the Baysox.
Loewen also got the win for Canada in its 8-6 victory over the United States in the World Baseball Classic. He held the U.S. team scoreless for 3 2/3 innings.
Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Cubs not sure when ailing Castro will return
- Garza goal: Kick Cubs' 'teeth in every time'
- Twins lock up closer Perkins on 4-year deal
- Boras: Morales, Drew willing to wait for deals
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Replica Baltimore Orioles Chris Davis #19 Home White Jersey