MRI shows Cards' Mulder has rotator cuff issues
St. Louis Cardinals
The Cardinals plan to re-examine Mulder's shoulder in about a week, and haven't set a timetable on his return. Mulder was supposed to start Sunday, but Sidney Ponson took his spot in the rotation against the Tigers.
Mulder was put on the 15-day disabled list Thursday because of a shoulder strain after giving up nine runs in 2 1/3 innings against the Chicago White Sox.
"When you throw that bull I was throwing up there, it's not going to get it done," Mulder said after the poor outing.
Mulder is 6-5 this season -- after starting 5-1 -- with a 6.09 ERA. He was 16-8 last season, his first in St. Louis after pitching five seasons for Oakland. The 28-year-old Mulder has a career record of 103-55 with a 4.03 ERA.
Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Mattingly voices worry over threats to Puig
- Dodgers' Ramirez hit on hand, to miss game
- Red Sox 1B Napoli (finger) returns to lineup
- Blue Jays' Janssen (back) has rehab halted
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Replica St. Louis Cardinals Enos Slaughter #9 White Cooperstown Jersey