Utley's single extends hit streak to 31 games
With chants of, "Let's Go Utley!" growing louder on each pitch, Utley smacked an RBI single to center off Marlins starter Brian Moehler in the sixth and tied for the second-longest hitting streak in team history.
Shortstop Jimmy Rollins has the longest streak at 38 games -- the final 36 of last season and the first two this year. Ed Delahanty had a 31-game run in 1899.
Utley doubled and tripled in the first game of the doubleheader, helping the Phillies win 11-5. The All-Star second baseman flied out in the first inning and popped up in the fourth in his first two at-bats of the second game.
Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Cardinals bolster pitching, acquire Masterson
- Scratched Lester at Fenway amid rumors
- Chavez, 6-time Gold Glover, retires at 36
- Red Sox deal Doubront to Cubs, sources say
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Women's Philadelphia Phillies Chase Utley #26 Red T-Shirt