Beltran, Mets tie records for grand slams in month
ATLANTA -- Mets center fielder Carlos Beltran tied a major league record Sunday with his third grand slam this month.
Beltran became the ninth player in major league history to hit three grand slams in a calendar month, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. Devon White was the last major leaguer to accomplish the feat, doing it for Milwaukee in May 2001.
The Mets' six slams this month matches the major league record set by the Montreal Expos in April 1996 and matched by Cleveland in May 1999.
Mike Cameron's 30 homers in 2004 was the Mets' previous single-season record for a center fielder.
Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Source: Ibanez, Angels nearing 1-year deal
- Braves get catcher Doumit in Twins trade
- Reports: 3B Chavez to re-sign with Arizona
- Source: Cubs' Castro sues after $3.6M seized
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- The Highland Mint Zack Wheeler New York Mets Triple Play Photo Display