Reds' Mercker going to have elbow surgery
The 38-year-old Mercker was placed on the disabled list Saturday after pitching a scoreless inning in relief Friday night in Philadelphia. He was examined Monday by Timothy Kremchek, the Reds' medical director, who scheduled surgery for Thursday. Mercker has been on the disabled list three times this season because of elbow problems.
Mercker is 1-1, with a 4.13 ERA and one save in 37 relief appearances this season. He did not allow an earned run in his final 12 appearances. He is in his third stint with the Reds and has pitched for eight other teams, making his major league debut with Atlanta in 1989.
Also Monday, Kremchek performed arthroscopic surgery on left-hander Brandon Claussen's left shoulder. He went on the disabled list June 17 after going 3-8 with a 6.19 ERA for the Reds.
Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Cards' Lynn gets win, improves to NL-best 4-0
- Hamels slated to make season debut in L.A.
- Mets trade 1B Davis to Pirates for reliever
- Nationals activate Span from concussion DL
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Women's Cincinnati Reds Fan V-Neck Black Half-Sleeve Shirt