Edmonds diagnosed with post-concussion syndrome

Updated: August 17, 2006, 12:44 AM ET
Associated Press

ST. LOUIS -- St. Louis Cardinals center fielder Jim Edmonds was diagnosed with post-concussion syndrome Wednesday, one day after leaving a game because of dizziness and blurred vision.

Center Field
St. Louis Cardinals

99 18 65 49 .354 .261

Edmonds underwent an MRI on Tuesday night that showed normal brain function, then had a battery of tests Wednesday to rule out other possibilities such as diabetes, nutrition deficiencies or an infection. Trainer Barry Weinberg said all the tests were normal.

"We're just going to keep it under the category of post-concussion syndrome and we'll just go day by day and see how he feels," Weinberg said. "He's got to just give me the input every day."

Edmonds did not play Wednesday night against Cincinnati, but manager Tony La Russa and the Cardinals were holding out hope he might return Thursday.

"Tony's got the spot open tomorrow for him if he feels good," Weinberg said.

Juan Encarnacion moved from right field to center, where Edmonds has won eight Gold Gloves. The 36-year-old slugger was batting .261 with 18 home runs and 65 RBI, third-best on the team.

Edmonds sustained what was described as a slight concussion on June 21 when he crashed into the wall in Chicago trying to rob White Sox third baseman Joe Crede of a home run. Edmonds said he's had intermittent bouts of dizziness and blurred vision along with nausea since then, feelings that have intensified after a couple of diving attempts in the last week or so.

"The last four or five days I've just really been clueless," Edmonds said. "I started to notice it the most when I tried to catch two fly balls on Saturday night and both of them almost came out of my glove."

But he said Tuesday was "terrible" and the "worst day."

Edmonds mentioned to assistant trainer Greg Hauck that he was having difficulty focusing and had blurred vision before taking the field for the fifth inning. He was removed before a pitch was thrown after the news was relayed to manager Tony La Russa and Weinberg, who met Edmonds on the field.

Until he woke up Wednesday, Edmonds had thought it was only the second inning when he came out.

"You don't really know what's what," Edmonds said. "I couldn't believe it was the fifth inning."

There were other shaky moments on Tuesday. During his second at-bat, which ended with an awkward swing for strike three on a pitch from Aaron Harang that was up and in, Edmonds said he was just trying to survive.

"I swung at a pitch and felt like I was going to, not literally, but fall over," Edmonds said. "I was like, wow, how am I going to get through this?"

When La Russa and Weinberg got to the outfield, they said it was not a long conversation.

"I think he said something like, 'I can stay out here,"' the manager said. "But he didn't argue.

"I know if he's got blurred vision, I couldn't put him out there."

Edmonds doesn't know if post-concussion syndrome is the correct diagnosis, although he said the symptoms he's been suffering from are similar to what occurred in June. On Wednesday, he said he had been "up and down."

Edmonds has had only one concussion that has been diagnosed, although he's certain there have been other instances.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press