Report: Papi hospitalized for irregular heartbeat
Ortiz told the Herald he began experiencing a rapid heartbeat Friday night after the Red Sox were swept by the New York Yankees in a doubleheader at Fenway Park. Although Ortiz played Saturday, the problem persisted and the Red Sox medical staff advised him to visit Massachusetts General Hospital, where he was held overnight for observation.
Ortiz, who is hitting .286 and leads the majors with 46 homers and 120 RBI this season, didn't miss any time during the Yankees series.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Yankees' Pineda banned 10 games by MLB
- Yanks batter Red Sox with bounce-back barrage
- Wrigley cake ends up down in the dumps
- Tommy John stunned by surgery 'epidemic'
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Replica Boston Red Sox David Ortiz #34 Alternate Home White Jersey