Guillen thinks Contreras should sit rest of year

Updated: September 23, 2006, 6:39 PM ET
Associated Press

CHICAGO -- Chicago White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said Saturday he'd prefer that Jose Contreras sit out the rest of the season after the right-hander strained his right hamstring in Friday night's loss to Seattle.

Starting Pitcher
Chicago White Sox

Profile
2006 SEASON STATISTICS
GM W L BB K ERA
30 13 9 55 134 4.27

Contreras signed a three-year, $29 million contract extension in April that runs through 2009. He was the ace of Chicago's run to the World Series a year ago, going 11-2 in the second half. This year he is 4-9 since the All-Star break and 13-9 overall.

He had to leave his start Friday night after 1 2/3 innings and limped off the field after collapsing at first base as he went to cover the bag.

"So far it's just a cramp, but in the meanwhile I need to sit down and talk to him about it, this kid has a contract for the next couple of years and I want to be for sure he doesn't do anything wrong," Guillen said Saturday.

Contreras was scheduled to make one more start this season for the White Sox, who are still mathematically alive for the playoffs. Brandon McCarthy would probably come out of the bullpen to take Contreras' turn.

"If we don't need to use him, I'd like to not start him again," Guillen said of Contreras. "I know him real well and he will try to pitch, he will try to talk me out of that."


Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press