Former Tigers DH Young sentenced to probation
Young pleaded no contest in June to a domestic violence charge but changed his plea to guilty Tuesday so the case can be dismissed in a year. He was accused of assaulting 21-year-old Michelle Schumaker of Toledo, Ohio, at a Birmingham hotel April 14. Young had faced up to three months in jail and a $500 fine.
"I'm sorry that the incident happened," Young told Judge Diane D'Agostini. He then turned to Schumaker and said, "Michelle, I'd like to apologize for what happened and I wish you the best of luck."
D'Agostini denied Young's request to complete his probation in his home state of California or to travel to Florida to visit family.
The Tigers released the designated hitter Sept. 6. He spent 30 days at a California rehabilitation center this summer for depression and alcohol abuse.
Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Mag: Puig subjected to threats, civil lawsuit
- Tanaka leads Yanks; 28 K's in 1st 3 games
- Bradley, Boston win Sox battle in 14
- Astros call up prized outfield prospect Springer
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- The Highland Mint Justin Verlander Detroit Tigers Triple Play Photo Display