Former big leaguer Jacoby named Reds' hitting coach
CINCINNATI -- Former big league third baseman Brook Jacoby was hired Friday as hitting coach of the Cincinnati Reds.
The 46-year-old returns to Reds following a four-season stint with Texas. He was hitting coach for the Rangers' Arizona Rookie League club and then became their minor league coordinator.
Jacoby worked in the Reds minor league system from 2000-02, the first season as a roving hitting instructor and the last two years as hitting coach at Triple-A Louisville.
He joined the Reds in 2000 after a stint the previous season as hitting/third base coach for Atlantic City in the independent Atlantic League.
Jacoby played 11 seasons for Atlanta, Cleveland and Oakland, hitting .270 with 120 homers and 545 RBIs.
Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- O's not signing Balfour, cite physical results
- Youkilis will play 'one more year' -- in Japan
- O's Patton tests positive, banned 25 games
- Beltran joins Yankees: 'Means a lot to me'
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- '47 Brand Youth Cincinnati Reds Basic Red Adjustable Hat