Matsui returns to Rockies with one-year deal
The 31-year-old Matsui hit .267 with three home runs and 26 RBI in 70 games with the Rockies and New York Mets last season. He batted .345 with 22 runs scored, two homers, 19 RBI, and had a .392 on-base percentage in 32 games with Colorado.
Acquired by the Rockies in a trade on June 9, Matsui spent just over two months at Triple-A Colorado Springs before making his Rockies debut on Aug. 23 at Milwaukee, becoming the first Japanese position player to appear for Colorado.
Matsui became the first Japanese infielder to sign in the majors when he signed with the Mets in 2003. A seven-time All-Star in Japan, Matsui is a career .266 hitter with 13 homers and 94 RBI in 271 games over three seasons with the Mets and Rockies.
Matsui can earn an additional $950,000 in performance bonuses.
Information from SportsTicker and The Associated Press was used in this report.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Source: Tigers' Iglesias to sit out until break
- D-backs' Corbin exits start with tight forearm
- Orioles 3B Machado (knee) suffers setback
- Dodgers OF Crawford to skip Australia series
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- '47 Brand Women's Colorado Rockies Big Time Black Raglan T-Shirt