Reports: Astros make offers to sluggers Lee, Soriano
A Major League Baseball official said the Astros also are in serious discussions with right-handed pitcher Woody Williams, the Houston Chronicle reported Thursday night. Astros general manager Tim Purpura told the Fox television affiliate in Houston that he plans to make an offer to Williams in the next day or so.
Purpura told the Chronicle late Wednesday he had made some offers, but wouldn't confirm to which players.
Meanwhile, Lee's agent, Adam Katz, told the Fox station the two sides have talked and that the discussions have been productive.
Williams was 12-5 with a 3.65 earned-run average for the San Diego Padres.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Nationals' Harper benched for 'lack of hustle'
- Scherzer tops Angels for 1st win of season
- Hamels slated to make season debut in L.A.
- Braun's go-ahead HR caps 2-homer day
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Youth Houston Astros Authentic Collection Navy T-Shirt