Estrada agrees to one-year deal, avoids arbitration
Estrada, obtained by Milwaukee as part of a six-player deal with the Arizona Diamondbacks in November, hit .302 with 11 homers and 71 RBIs in 115 games last season. He is slated to become the starting catcher, sending 37-year-old Damian Miller to a reserve role.
In addition to his base salary, Estrada would get a $50,000 bonus for 500 plate appearances. That would bring him to the midpoint between the $3.9 million he had asked for and the $3 million the team had offered.
Milwaukee has one player remaining in arbitration, outfielder Bill Hall. He asked for $4,125,000 and the Brewers offered $3 million.
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Rays P Moore needs season-ending surgery
- MLB marks 67th anniversary of Robinson debut
- Napoli exits with hurt finger after head-first slide
- Phillies' Burnett (hernia) to pitch through pain
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- '47 Brand Men's Milwaukee Brewers Heritage Gold/Blue Raglan Three-Quarter Sleeve Shirt